Tuesday, March 13, 2012

I have maintained...

...for some time that the U.S. should (and likely will) re-prioritize its presence in the world to the antipodes, and more specifically Latin America and Africa. Progress in this development have not been to my liking (and, as always, I could be completely wrong about the gravity of our foreign policy), but the Obama Doctrine (a modern day corollary to the Monroe Doctrine of the 1800s) appears to be the safest way to "de-couple" U.S. interests away from a disintegrating Europe, a tempestuous Middle East, and a downright dangerous Asia.

It appears that the U.S. is making serious moves to effectuate this, but the risks remain that it holds on to old loyalties and out-dated notions based on wars fought in previous centuries. It will take a strong president with a clear vision to accomplish the re-prioritization...so perhaps my faith is misguided given the incumbent's "whatever makes me re-electable" stance on foreign policy.

No comments: